Sunday 24 February 2013

Gold work hummingbirds

After a really hectic day of clearing an overgrown garden ( not mine, my daughters) I found a spare hour to finish and stretch my gold work embroidery ready to be framed and displayed at the shop next week.
It's been a real pleasure having this embroidery on the go in the evenings. It is predominately worked in satin stitch where I needed the hummingbirds to say blue/green, with couched gold cord. No padded gold leather on this piece which should please many of the students. They find the leather work hard going on heir fingers. As usual my signature painting in of areas using gold acrylic paint has snuck in giving another texture and tone to the gold being used to outline the design. The flowers have been worked in long stitches with variegated yellow/orange stranded floss with gold machine thread worked in-between each one.
I painted the background fabric with my watercolour paints to get a soft blue Hugh







No comments:

Post a Comment